In 1968, at the ages of 12 and 11 respectively, Randy & Bob Miller bought a wrecked 1953 Chevrolet and proceeded to repair it. Little did they know it was the beginning of a long and successful career. From the day Randy and Bob started working in their father’s body shop in the early seventies, he stressed success — “be successful at whatever you do, but not at the cost of quality or integrity.” Further, they learned that people are important – customers and employees alike. Spurred on by those principles, they started their own business.
In March of 1975, Randy & Bob’s Auto Body was established as a two-person body shop operating in a 775 square foot building. By capitalizing on the principles their father instilled, they expanded to 2,772 square feet in 1981, also adding a paint booth and frame rack. Staffing ‘doubled’ with the addition of two new technicians.
In 1985 another addition was erected. The building grew to a total of 7,000 square feet with a bake oven spray booth, an additional frame rack and a computerized management system. Staffing increased to 8 people. As if three expansions in less than 11 years wasn’t enough, they held the grand opening for their state of the art 18,000 square foot facility in 1999. They now employ 14 technicians and 8 administrative associates and repair over 1,800 vehicles per year.
Their formula for success is simple: provide high quality and innovative service that caters to the customers’ needs. By always investing back into the business via leading edge equipment and managerial and technical training classes, Randy and Bob continue to expand their operation.
For over 43 years Randy and Bob have proven they can provide high quality collision repair in an honest, ethical and efficient manner.